What's new

Welcome to the GSA Community!

This is the Official User Community for GE's GeoSpatial Analysis products. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our Community.
Registration is currently only allowed with a personalized invitation code, which you might have received previously. If you haven't got one:
please get in touch with your GE contact person or your regional moderator(s): see FAQ.

SignUp Now!

GSA 5.2.6. Best Practice: Tile generation vs snapshot vs dynamic refresh intervall

Björn Schaefer

Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi there!

we are using GSA Lite for internal distribution of more than 50 analytics, each covering an area > 3600km².
Caused by this large area it is not usefull, re-generate all tiles over night, the duration of that would be too long. (even by using a 48 Core, 512GB RAM Server).

So I decided to use dynamic refresh intervals like this:
1618813417632.png

The settings in minutes are made various, but maybe not really sensefull, because I found nothing about a "guideline", how to set this up properly.
On the other hand, I use refresh snapshot tasks, those were running once a day at about 16:30.

so far, (not) so good:

1.) Starting GSA Lite as User, it took a while to see the first maps filled with suitable Informations, cause the Server needs to generate them. This is understandable, but not really satisfying.
2.) Prolonging the refresh intervalls > 24h makes me unsure, if the combination refresh snaps & invalidate tiles will work properly: By using tile generation and snapshot refresh tasks in the past, the effect was, that data were actual, maps don't, so that there was an undefined state by viewing the analytic maps (Seeing was different to clicking objects)

Is there any possible configuration, that will deliver a quick start (Maps in GSA Lite) and homogeneous Data / Map Combination?

Attachments

• 1618813318794.png
    1618813318794.png
    27 KB · Views: 4

Joery Korobejnik

Moderator - Spatial Eye
Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Björn,

Thank you for your post, I think that this belongs more in the product support channel than the community. I will raise the ticket and add you to it. The topic about tiling performance and use of the dynamic layer is a very interesting one, I will make sure to post the summary of the discussion from the product support in the community.

Kind regards,

Joery

Robert Lilley (GE)

GE Digital
Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Björn,

Thank you for your post, I think that this belongs more in the product support channel than the community. I will raise the ticket and add you to it. The topic about tiling performance and use of the dynamic layer is a very interesting one, I will make sure to post the summary of the discussion from the product support in the community.

Kind regards,

Joery
Joery,

There have been a few other inquiries about the best way to do tiling with GSA Server, so best practices here would be great!

Björn Schaefer

Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Joery and all further readers...

the actual settings within our project are made like this:

1. Raster Tile Generating task for each Analysis like this:
1623821225891.png
1623821251285.png
2. Snap - Refresh task for each Analysis

All these tasks are grouped in Group-Tasks. At about 18:00 the task-group "refresh snapshots" is scheduled, normally this will be finished within about 90 minutes.

After that, the task group "Tile Generation" starts at about 22:00.

The Map settings itself is set like this:
1623821766497.png

So just one Question is left: does it harm in any way, that there is a dynamic layer 10-21 versus a static Tile - DB created by the Task (Levels 10-16) (I'm not quite sure, that the dynamic-setting will not overwrite tiles, generated by the task)