What's new

Welcome to the GSA Community!

This is the Official User Community for GE's GeoSpatial Analysis products. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our Community.
Registration is currently only allowed with a personalized invitation code, which you might have received previously. If you haven't got one:
please get in touch with your GE contact person or your regional moderator(s): see FAQ.

SignUp Now!

GSA Importing Microstation feature source

arb_sw

Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with exploring a bunch of Microstation .dgn files as a feature source. It imports without errors, but any attempts so far to browse this feature source or display its contents in any way failed.
After an import I get a feature source folder like on the screenshot below.
1619181698081.png
Browsing any of the "Layer #" table gives 0 records, while browsing "Microstation Drawings" just keeps "Running" for a long time and does not return any result. A few times it returned a few (12) records, but after cancelling they don't get displayed in the Results tab either. Here's one of the error logs (part of it) that I found in the Logger tab:
Microstation_log.PNG

I checked some documentation, but the most relevant I found was this: Add Microstation DGN Feature Source
Which is very brief and does not help at all.

Since I am fairly new to GSA, I have at the moment very little idea about what is exactly causing the issue and how to make any use of the feature source that I have imported. So any help is much appreciated. 😳

Best regards,
Alexey
P.S: this is my first thread on this forum, hopefully I didn't do it too wrong.

markvanderhurk

Spatial Eye - Moderator
Staff member
Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Alexey,

Welcome to the GSA Community! You're doing a great job in describing what you do, what you encounter and what you tried to solve it.
DGN can be a complex format and sometimes I have seen issues with the data (i.e. viewport definitions, but can be anything) causing little or severe compatibility issues with GSA.

Could you perhaps share an example of a file that can't be read by GSA if it is not confidential information?

Best regards, Mark

arb_sw

Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Mark,

Thank you for a quick reply!
Actually, it might very well be the case that I can't share a dgn file. However, maybe I can make one up and try the same thing. If I get the same outcome, then I'll just upload it as a comment in this thread.

Regards,
Alexey

markvanderhurk

Spatial Eye - Moderator
Staff member
Confirmed GSA Customer
Sure! Let me know if you have an example which I could try to inspect!

arb_sw

Confirmed GSA Customer
Hi Mark,

I had a training in the meantime, and was also occupied with other tasks.
Anyway, here is a link example of a dgn file that can be used for testing.
However, with one of these examples, my GSA works perfectly fine. In fact, when I have copied one of the work dgn files in the same folder as this example dgn, and created a Microstation feature source out of it, they both worked. Although, the first browsing attempt gave 1 record and failed, the second attempt just worked.
But when I point GSA at the folder full of other work dgn files, it still shows the same behavior as before, namely, it never gives any browsing results, even though sometimes it says that it has found several; upon cancelling, GSA still does not display them.

Regards,
Alexey

UPD: and now that example file does not work either: browsing "Microstation Drawing" table does not even return 0 rows, it just does not finish.

Last edited: